By DubyaWife and ShesNachoMama
“Another platform? And this time it involves LIVE VIDEO? But, my messy house! My hair! My voice!”
We know. Please hear us out anyway.
WHAT IS PERISCOPE?
Periscope is the latest star in the social media constellation. It’s owned by Twitter, so your Twitter handle is also your Periscope handle. Your Periscope followers are not necessarily the same people as your Twitter followers, though you can share your “scopes” on Twitter.
HOW DOES PERISCOPE WORK?
Basically, you are LIVE VIDEO BROADCASTING to your Periscope followers and other viewers who may be watching because of your video title or hashtag. Your viewers can interact with you during the broadcast via live chat and they show their approval with hearts, created by tapping the screen as they watch. That’s basically it. So why should YOU try it?
TOP TEN REASONS TO TRY PERISCOPE!
- It’s show and tell, on a global scale.
- You’ll get immediate feedback in the form of hearts/support/answers.
- You’ll learn how to be more natural on camera, a useful skill with many applications.
- You’ll make new friends — internationally and in real time!
- You’ll get a chance to sharpen your impromptu speaking skills.
- It’s FUN. No, really.
- Live broadcasting teaches you to go with the flow, on and off the air.
- Finally, grownups get to use EMOJIS!
- A stream of floating hearts makes any day better.
- Nobody can do it the way YOU can.
GETTING STARTED WITH PERISCOPE
Start as a viewer but don’t wait to participate! Periscope is fast and loose, like Twitter, so no worries about your voice or saying “um” too much. Another perk of Periscope is that the videos are only available to view up to 24 hours after the original broadcast. After that, they disappear! There are ways to archive your scopes, but if you feel like you had a dud, it’s no big whoop and totally low-risk. Periscope is also a powerful platform for collaboration with your fellow Fitbloggers. Promote your friends’ scopes or join together to scope on a particular topic, like weekday fitness. JUST TRY IT, ALREADY (see #10).
Wellness blogger Christine (Dubyawife.com) and life coach Margo (MargoPorras.com) host the twice-weekly #Inspiriscope show on Periscope, covering motivation, health, body image, and so much more: Mondays at 8am PT, Thursdays at 5pm PT. Just follow us @Dubyawife and @ShesNachoMama or search for #Inspiriscope on Periscope or Twitter! Facebook