It is that time in our conference planning when you decide if you want to put it all out there for yourself and your fellow attendees during the booty-kicking keynote known as Ignite Fitness. This is one of the few times in the conference where we all convene to let our hair down, laugh, learn in quick spurts, then get silly with the karaoke after. If you have no idea what Ignite is, watch this demo spark.
EVERYONE has at least one topic they can captivate us with. Consider submitting a topic so you can edutain one of the most engaged and supportive crowds that you will ever have the pleasure of presenting to.
If you have not had the honor of attending this keynote previously then know that this show is all about our COMMUNITY and why we do such a great job of embracing one another and our differences. Presentations have ranged from personal stories like surviving a major accident and dealing with depression to techniques like using AGILE to operate your blog. Consider techniques, tips, successes, and the gamut of what you can share to better others as we craft a well-rounded show.
There are a few rules:
- No sparks shall be about shameless self-promotion. Your job is to inform your community about your topic. Your last slide can feature your blog and contact information but no selling of books, apps, coaching services, etc. as part of your presentation.
- Keep the talks in a sense of good taste. If anything is too outrageous, organizers retain the right to suggest and enforce changes of your presentation.
- 2013 speakers are allowed to apply but are not guaranteed selection even if their sparks are voted in.
- Only one speaker per spark unless arrangements are previously made with the organizer (Kia M. Ruiz)
- No use of props unless arrangements are previously made with the organizer.
- Speakers must adhere to deadlines if they are selected or else they will be dismissed from the program and will have their conference ticket revoked. I hope you caught wind of that last sentence … if selected and if you meet deadlines you get a full Fitbloggin’ conference ticket.
The dates regarding Ignite Fitness are:
- January 6 – Call for Sparks
- January 9 – Google Hangout about the process
- January 24 – Spark Deadline 7 p.m. EST
- January 27 – Voting Opens
- February 2 – Voting Closes
- February 3 – First Round of Speakers Announced
- February 6 – Second Round of Speakers Announced
- February 14 – Selected Speakers Deadline for Paperwork and Bios
- May 30 – Check-in with Organizer
- June 13 – Spark Presentation Due to Organizer *no more changes
- June 27 – Ignite Fitness at Fitbloggin’
We’ll have a Google Hangout this week that will feature tips and tricks from crafting spark submissions to presenting awesome presentations. Submissions are open now (click here to apply or use the form below) but wait for the chat if you want to bounce around ideas. The big key at this point for your spark submission is to make it spark, be crafty but succinct with your words. Use a hook and keep your explanation of what you want to share with the audience brief. If you are selected, do not think you will be left on your own until the conference. Contact Kia if you have any questions along the way at email@example.com.