The content in this session will help bloggers better engage readers with more vivid, organized writing. This session will also help bloggers who are aspiring magazine/web writers succeed with getting their articles published for pay. Please come to this session with a writing sample of your own to work with throughout the workshop.
Section 1- Presented by Amanda Vogel: “Packaging Your Writing for Maximum Impact”
Knowing how to “package” your writing – whether it’s for a magazine article, story pitch or blog post – can help you succeed with the writing process. Learn from a professional magazine writer and blogger about how to “package” (i.e., skillfully organize) your articles, posts and pitches for maximum impact and reader engagement.
- Define “packaging”; explain how to “package” an article, pitch or post so it appeals to magazine editors and/or blog readers.
- Name common mistakes writers and bloggers make when organizing a story or pitch, and how to avoid these mistakes.
- Identify winning formulas for “packaging” blog posts, articles and pitches.
Section 2- Presented by Gina Zammit: “How to Write Like a Writer”
- Provide tips to bloggers on improving their overall writing skills
- Demonstrate how to incorporate sensory writing skills into their posts with more precise and vivid word choices
- Review the pros and cons of colloquial writing and how to decide if it’s right for their blog. By providing examples of “good” and “bad” writing
- Cover how to avoid common mistakes and enhance their editing skills
Section 3- Presented by Katie Oden: “The Importance of Storytelling”
- Why storytelling is important
- Power of Positive Stories
- How to turn lists into memorable pieces